Sunday, February 24, 2008

Last!!!

So today was the big day..the 5k!! I rolled out of bed at around 6:40am. I am not going to lie, that was a little tough. I got myself together walked the dog, printed directions to the race, got a little cereal and headed out to Julie's. We carpooled to Chapel Hill. The race was Hearts on Franklin 5k. So Julie didn't get a lot of sleep herself and she was pretty tired, but we treked it out to Carolina in spite of ourselves.

Ok so first things first, those people out there were hard core. They had on their spandex running pants and those nylon shorts. Some people just had shorts and a sleevless top. I thought that was a bit much anyway. They were stretching and jogging around. I was thinking "uh oh". So I kept telling myself that I wouldn't be intimidated, this was about doing the race, certainly I wasn't trying to place in the race.

We were under the false impression that there would be other people there walking also..NOT. The only other two people who were walking was lady who was 7 months pregnant and someone who was clearly keeping her company. She blew by us walking too.

I just want to say how much I appreciate Julie, because she clearly is in better shape then me. I was huffing and puffing, for a while I really didn't think I was going to make it, I was a HOT MESS out there. But in the end we did finish...dead LAST. Results Found Here. Now for some reason it appears that they have taken pity on me and not accurately indicated my time. They say that we finished it in 49 minutes, but I want to believe that the clock said we finished in 59 minutes. Oh well..thanks guys! It might be true, because they were supposed to start the awards ceremony at 9:45 and it was wrapping up when we crossed the finish line. Anyway I told Julie she is officially my "Person of the Month", she's great!

So from now on I will be doing one of these once a month. Hopefully by April or May May or June, I will be able to jog the entire thing. Right now walking it fast was brutal!

Coming in last really got me thinking. I was feeling slightly bad about it. But this whole thing really wasn't about when I finished, it was more about sticking it out and finishing it. I decided that I am proud of us, because we did see it through.

1 comment:

The Land of Rozz said...

You finished! That's all that matters!