Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Helen Wright Center - Laundry Day!

I like to reread my blogs and I realized before I left for Brazil that I mentioned I would post an entry about the ladies at the Helen Wright Center. About a month or so ago, while my church family was doing the second phase of updaes to the Helen Wright Center we spent some time with the ladies.

So a little background..



The Helen Wright Center (HWC) is downtown Raleigh, it is a trasitional home for woman who are homeless to help them get on their feet and into a home. They have a great program there. LWFC - my church has been doing some updates to the HWC. Last year we were unscrooged and we updated the bathrooms..well not me exactly..i did volunteer one day, but I digress.. we fixed a leak and some ceiling tiles so they could open up an extra bed that wasn't able to be occupied because of the leak. During a renovation day, we took some of the ladies out on a spa day. That was fun, although I only participated for the brunch, I heard they had a BALL!


If you are interested here is some info on this..

http://www.growingourcommunity.blogspot.com/

So we are in phase 2 now and we had another day with the ladies.. that reminds me I need to find my memory card from my phone because I took pic..ugh..i hope I didn't leave it in brazil.. I swapped out phones because my phone was grey and they came out with a new snazzy red model..I hope I took out the memory card..ok back to the story..ANYWAY.. we took the ladies on this day to the laundry mat in Wake Forest and paid for them to do their laundry. While we were there, I had a chance to sit and chat it up with some of the ladies. Some of them are really trying to make a difference in their life and using this opportunity to the fullest. My heart was warmed by their testimonies. I really bonded with a couple of the ladies.

THen we went for pizza.. I have gone back there since because between it and a place in RTP it is the closest to reminding me of pizza from NY..yum.. They enjoyed the pizza. Then we went to see Meet the Browns. We had sooo much fun at the movies, cutting up. In the lobby of the movie there was a cardboard cutout from the movie Made of Honor with Patrick Dempsy, any it was him and he had his arm wrapped around a woman, but thhe face was cut out, so you could stick you face in there and they said on a sign somewhere to take a picture. I didn't have my camera, but I had my handy dandy phone with pretty good camera in it - I love my job! So I decided to do a little testing on the camera. Some of the ladies acted all "No I don't want to take a picture" initially, but by the end, EVERYONE was trying to make sure they got their photos..please pray with me that I can find that memory card. I have like 3 in my desk, plus I think one in my phone. Hope the pics are on one of them.

Anyway..Sunday several of the ladies came to church..I was soo excited to see them and that they had a desire to hear God's word!! I pray that they get plugged in somewhere at a bible-based church - it doesn't necessarily have to be LWFC.. of course we would love to have them. Anwyay, I didn't get to go back with them to the HWC after the movies because I had some errands and then I had to serve at Sat night service. WHen they got back to the HWC they were presented with some nice toiletry type gifts, towels, lotion body wash, etc.. I was sorry I missed that.

The ladies were so appreciative but God really gets all the Glory in this..it felt SO good to be a part of that. I am looking forward to a time when my full time job is community focused. One day..in God's timing.

Off topic..I was also going to talk about this conversation my girls and I were having about men and relationships in another blog but not 100% sure about that. Ehh..I am going to do that one next.. stay tuned.. oh and I met this guy i like..but I am not sure how much of that is blog fodder. I will have to give that a think, in case some how or another he stumbles on this..


Here is a picture of me with the ladies..


(sigh) Ya know, I came into my rec room to check my email and then I was supposed to start reading this book. Then i got caught up on this computer... I am getting offline.. now..

No comments: