Monday, July 14, 2008

replacing the lawn hog..

So last week.. I went lawn mower shopping. I was specifically looking for an electric lawnmower because i didn't want to have to deal with gas and oil. So a few of my girls and I ventured out.. So hard to find these lawnmowers..there aren't that many available.."Perhaps there is a reason for this?" Is the demand too high or two low to substantiate keeping them stocked in the stores? So after Sears and Home Depot let me down, we head over to Lowes and Eureaka! there is "Lawn Hog" just sitting there waiting for me.

So this weekend I went for it, 7pm, Buddy and I head outside. I sit and read pretty much the entire manual, then I plug it in and get ready to go. It wasn't very noisy, so I was really grateful for that, but it was one workout! OMG my yard is somewhat hilly, the back yard is really hilly, but man, it was tough! What made it worse was that I didn't have enough slack on the cord that was plugged into the outlet. I got an $8 50ft cord. Apparently, I need 100 ft. That is a lot of cord to keep track of. (sigh)

So my thoughts on this experience:
So there were a few mishaps - I have a allergic reaction to something starting last week and I am having a hard time figuring out what it is, but anyway, my face and neck don't look so great at the moment. (But I am healed in Jesus name - I had to add that in there). Anyway, sweating profusely opened up my pores and all that grass was blowing all over the place, because I used the setting to mulch the grass, for fertalization. Then I displaced about 10,000 bugs - I was hoping that I wouldn't get eaten alive. Only a few bites here at there but I am fine.Oh so back to my face and neck...they were literally ON FIRE! I have almost used an entire tube of cortizone10 since it stops my face from itching. but that couldn't help me in the great outdoors. No, My face and neck itched so bad I didn't know what to do with myself. I pressed on though.

There was some fear there for sure.
  1. Fear of running over my feet,
  2. Fear of running over buddy, who sometimes is not too bright,
  3. Fear of looking like a lobster at work on monday because my face finished completely breaking out.
  4. Fear of my legs also looking lobsterish because angry bugs decided that since they had no where to go, they might as well eat (me).

But despite all that I pressed on and finishe 80% of my yard. 20% couldnt get done because my cord wasn't long enough.

Anyway I am debating going this weekend and exchanging this for a gas powered mower - self-propelled at that. The jury is still out, but I have obtained transportation in the event that I decide to go through with it.

So the only casualty of war are my legs itching from 2-4 bites a got - no biggie there.My hair was completely destroyed - I did CPR on it this morning and all is fine (now). There is an area of my yard where, the blades were set to low, so it looks like it got scalped..its not pretty.

But overall it was pretty good and fantastic exercise. I need to finish mulching my front yard - this weekend hopefully. But I am really debating ditching the Lawn Hog for a self propelled gas mower. That cord is really annoying...I will think on this this week.

Oh..but most important - I have decided, that there is no way to do this and look cute at the same time. I looked crazy afterwards.

So I will keep you posted on my landscaping make over. I really should start taking pictures. My camera is MIA at the moment - that is a problem.

No comments: